Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Track of The Moment: Moving To America by Katleen Edwards


Steve lumbered into my office dressed as Captain Ahab (seeing as it was a Tuesday) and nailed a gold doubloon to the back of my laptop. “A prize for the first sailor to sight the next big thing in Canadian Alternative Folk.” I looked around the room and since this was my office, and I was the only one there, I felt obligated to speak up.
“Call me Ishmael, but I think I may have just what you’re looking for.” Since Steve has never heard of the book Moby Dick this reference was lost to him. I played him a song from Kathleen Edward’s new album “Voyageur.”
“That’s perfect!” he remarked, “Turn that into words and get that topside before sunset.” As he hobbled out of the room I pried the nail from my laptop, and started to write around the gaping hole in the screen.
“Empty Threat,” the opening track from Kathleen Edward’s forth album is exactly what I look for in an opening track. The song itself is very upbeat, and has all the stuff to get the listener excited for the rest of the album. Like a few other songs on the album the music of the song is a bit of the contrast to the subject matter which is chock full of heart-break, regret, and self doubt. You can hear a lot of Tom Petty in this song; someone Edwards feels is a major influence on her. But don’t take my word for it click the video!
“Voyageur” (which by the way was co produced by Justin Vernon (Bon Iver) is doing well critically, and she’s currently coming to a venue near you if you want a chance to see her.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha I hope you have stolen most of the albums that you write about, because I totally want to hear some of this stuff. Also... I think you mistook my Gordon's Fisherman's outfit for Ahab. Seriously, Ahab has got nothing on that bright yellow raincoat and hat

    ReplyDelete