Search This Blog

Monday, November 12, 2012

New Album of the Week - Sleepwaking by The Casket Girls

Okay, So I love this blog. I love writing about music. Unfortunately I am just too busy to put the effort that I did 6 months ago when I wrote constantly. So instead of trying to push myself to write like 1000 words every week, I will just do a paragraph or two. Also this takes less time to come up with what to say, so I will just do my new album of the week :D

Anyways, last week I picked up Graveface record's new band's, The Casket Girls's, debut album. Graveface as you might know is the personal label of Ryan Graveface of Black Moth Super Rainbow, and more importantly, BMSR's side project, the Marshmallow Ghosts. If you like crazy-weird-but-crazy-awesome indie music, then they are the label for you.



Anywho, Graveface (the man) decided to do another side project called the Casket Girls with Elisa and Phaedra Greene. According to the website, Graveface (the man) is obsessed with creating a darker version of the Shangri-Las, as evident by the Marshmallow Ghosts cover of "I can never go home" that they played at the concert Steve and I went to. That sentiment was part of what went into the MG and is definitely part of what went into the Casket Girls. Whether he succeeded or not is up to people who know the Sangri-Las better then I do.  But that is irrelevant; The Casket Girls are awesome.

Why are they awesome? Well imagine the Marshmallow Ghosts with a little bit more of a upbeat pop mentality and get rid of the Halloween theme. That is fantastic because I while absolutely love the MG, I find there music is best listened to when the air gets cold, the leaves fall, and ghosts are lurking around every corner (October). The Casket Girls are a band I can get behind 365 days a year. I might not like them as much as the MG, but man do they kick some ass. Check out the song "Sleepwaking" below.



Half eerie, half beautiful, half rocking out, Graveface (the man AND the label) once again creates a perfect mixture of obtuse and upright. Whether or not you are a fan of BMSR, the MG, or indie music in general, I highly recommend at least checking out Sleepwalking. You can buy it here.

Hopefully I will be back next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment