Search This Blog

Monday, February 20, 2012

Happy Birthday Kurt Cobain!

It’s always weird writing b-day shout outs to people you don’t know (just ask anyone on face book,) but I figured I needed to try for Kurt for two reasons: 1 in a way I think he was a lot like a few of the guys here on the blog, and 2 he’s kind of a big deal.

I’ll start with the second one. Some people could argue Nirvana sold out, signing with a big label, putting out poppy songs that weren’t really grunge at all. But that’s not what this article’s about (although my retort would probably contain the phrase ‘one of the greatest post-punk albums ever’.) He was the front man and creative force of one of the most important “generation x” bands of all time, sold millions of records, and changed music for better or worse. How have you spent 1991, probably not that I would wager.

The other reason is I think he was a profound music lover, just like the guys I have the privilege to work with on the blog. He was able to walk the line where he loved obscure artsy bands like the Vaselines, Pixies, raincoats, Meat Puppets (the list goes on), as well as successful mainstream artist like AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Black Sabbath (again the list goes on). If it was good he liked it no matter how big or small they were. That’s something that I feel we don’t have enough of, even today where everything a band has ever put out ever is one click away.

So Happy Birthday Kurt! I hope wherever you are they have the radio on.

No comments:

Post a Comment