Search This Blog

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Elliott's Eccentricities- No Future by Rah Bras and Fantasy by DyE


My original plan for Elliott’s Eccentricities this week was to talk about the absolutely bizarre and amazing music video of Peacebone by Animal Collective. However, Steve stole that privilege from me earlier this week by featuring it as a track of the moment. At first I felt defeated until I discovered two absolutely erratic music videos that blow Peacebone’s weird alien date out of the water. So in an effort to not only 1-up Steve, but to 2-up him, I present two completely terrifyingly eccentric music videos, Fantasy by DyE and No Future by Rah Bras.
Now all three music videos produce the same reaction in the viewer; Wtf?!?!?! What the hell is going on here? However, the intensity of this reaction is different from video to video. I am going to give you, o humble reader, a fair warning that you will promptly ignore. If Peacebone made you uncomfortable, then you probably want to stop reading now. Peacebone is the bunny slope to No Future’s black diamond and to Fantasy’s Mt. Everest. In other words, if you didn’t like Peacebone, these will scar you. But if you’re like me, and Peacebone tickled your insanity bone and left you craving more, then these two videos are just the fix you need.

On the eccentricity scale ranging from 1 to 10
1-   I dance to Glee
10- I dance to the Beatles's Revolution 9

No Future song- 5/10
No Future video- 7/10
Fantasy song- 1/10
Fantasy video- 8/10

 First up, I give you No Future (much to John's displeasure). And it is important that you actually pay attention to these warnings.

1. Watching this on drugs is probably a bad idea.
2. DO NOT WATCH THIS IF YOU’RE EPILEPTIC!
3. DO NOT WATCH THIS IF YOU’RE EPILEPTIC!
4. DO NOT WATCH THIS IF YOU’RE EPILEPTIC!



                I wouldn’t call No Future a good song. The opening electronic sounds, drums, and cheering got me excited for an awesome jam. This expectation was further raised by the awesome riff that plays while the doors are opening. I felt like I was being led into a secret underground facility that is being used to contain pure musical awesomeness. What I got was very disappointing musically; the anticipation leads to nothing the song sort of devolves.
                However, when that last door opened, pure visual insanity was released on my brain. The giant cat thingy (I think it’s supposed to be cat-like) is obviously brilliant, but it is the little details that I really love. The multicolored people flying around the screen and dancing on its body, the wonderful multicolored background, and the random subliminal images popping in and out make my brain feel like its exploding. For two minute I was jaw dropped as the insanity took control of my senses. I have never dropped acid, but this is exactly what I imagine it being like. I am also convinced that Rah Brahs hate epileptics.

Next I give you Fantasy. Epileptics are in the clear for this one, but acid is definitely not a good idea. Not for the squeamish. Also it is NSFW, which I really wish the friend who showed this to me had told me before I watched it at work.


                The music in this song is actually pretty damn awesome and I am definitely going to check out DyE now (expect a “new album of three weeks ago” by them in three weeks). However it is not very eccentric. The video however, is completely fantastic. The animation is really wonderfully drawn, but that has nothing on the level of crazy. At first I was just expecting a funny video of teenage shenanigans. But then in one moment, everything just explodes into awesome and questions flood my mind. Why did any of this happen? Were they monsters the whole time? Is that Cthulhu at the end of the video? Why the crotch? Dear God why the crotch?!? To answer my questions I came up with a theory as to what happened. Obviously the pool was a portal to another world (specifically Cthulhu’s domain). When the kids jump into the pool, they are either replaced or transformed into monsters. I still don’t know how to answer the last two questions.
Really... why the crotch!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment