Search This Blog

Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Gentlemanly Conversation with: Hungry Lucy


A little while ago I made Hungry Lucy my track of the moment. You can check that out here if you missed it. I’ll wait until you get back…you read it? Okay good. Moving on.
Anyway, apparently my article got the attention of none other then Warren Harrison of Hungry Lucy. We started emailing and they we cool enough to do an interview for our blog! But you must know that because you read the title of this article. So lets get this started. (Real quick I wanted to thank Eric for helping me come up with thee questions)

How did you guys meet?
          We met through a mutual friend. Initially we had no idea of working together musically. That just came about when I heard Christa singing and said, "Let's try some songs".

How long have you guys been writing/performing?
          We started writing together in 1998 and our first performance was in 2000 in San Francisco

What's your favorite part about being in a band?
          The process of creating a song, from initial spark to finished recording.

How did you come up with the name Hungry Lucy?
          The name comes from the story of Lucy Ryan, a woman who died in the late 1700s. According to the story, Lucy's ghost would constantly complain about being hungry and the nickname was born.

What’s your favorite city to play at, and why?
          Philadelphia has always been a great place for us to play. Truthfully, though, as long as the audience is enthused about what we're doing, they're all great!

Who is (are) your biggest influence(s)?
          I think we both absorb pieces from everything we encounter, so there are many disparate elements in there. Early influences for me (Warren) are Wendy Carlos (most know for her electronic versions of Bach music and the original TRON soundtrack) as well as Gary Numan, Vince Clarke and Howard Jones.

How did you develop your unique sound?
         As I mentioned above, I think out sound just comes from the combination of potentially conflicting elements. I've always been fascinated with contrasts, so I'll often attempt to add elements together that don't necessarily blend and try to make them work.

Is there something specific you guys hope people get out of your music?
         Nothing specific. If a song of ours moves someone, our job is done. As selfish as it sounds, we create music for ourselves first and foremost. The fact that other people can get something out of it still amazes me. I think it's important in life to do what you love, so tailoring music to an audience will never be truly satisfying for the artist.

Is there any new material we can look forward to in the near future?
         There are a few musical sketches under way. We have no immediate plans for a new release, though.

          I wanted to thank Hungry Lucy again for taking the time to talk with us. You can find more of their stuff at http://www.hungrylucy.com/ and make sure to check out their latest LP “Pulse of the Earth.”

No comments:

Post a Comment