Search This Blog

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Mark’s Pick of The Week: Dear Eskimo by When I was 12


Did you ever hear a band live buy their album, and then get home and realize it’s a lot different then it was live? Most of the time this lends itself to a pretty crappy situation, I mean you liked the band enough to buy the album. In the case of When I was 12, however, I got more then what I bargained for.

When I was 12 is something straight out of a manic pixie love story. It’s cute, heartfelt, creative, personal and seriously-unserious. They lyrics deal with a variety of different, not so generic, relationship memories and situations, like riding the subway, crocheting scarves, and getting asthma attacks from second hand smoke. Musically it’s brilliantly simple, a great writing-songs-in-your-basement fell that makes the antidotes and details feel very believable.

I think it’s a LP that anyone who’s broken up can relate to, since generic love and love lost songs always sound so vague, this adds a refreshing personal touch rapped up in fun piano and guitar based indie pop.

Like I said earlier I bought the cd from these guys after a set they played in Philly for whatever I wanted, they even signed it, which was awesome. Since then the band is now under the new name Catnaps whose website is linked to here. Check their debut album out also if you like this. I’m not sure of why they changed the name (it made it extra tough to find them in researching this article) but as long as they keep putting out music like this I can certainly forgive them.

No comments:

Post a Comment