Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Track of the Moment: Undertone by Basement Skylights


I don't care what god you worship, that's an awesome album cover

            
            I’ll be the first to admit I don’t listen to enough trip-hop.  I can’t think of anyone who would accuse me of that, but regardless I apologize.  Let me make it up to you with this. 
Basement Skylights is…I don’t really know really.  Their facebook says they are four guys: Tab, Anitek, A.U.R.C.,Hernan Faraci who jammed together and sampled themselves to make their self titled album.  That’s about all the info I got on he band.  The music is a bit more telling.
            Every track on the album, WHICH YOU CAN DOWNLOAD FOR FREE HERE, is less then 4 minute which is pretty short for trip-hop.  In that short amount of time these guys add a lot of great sounds that range in moods of mellow and ambient to crowded and desperate.  Each one is fantastically experimental, and fuses various styles, and influences to reach the similar trip-hop end.  Take the track Undertone.  The background has a great scratchy record foundation with a steady bassline, and almost “flamenco-y” guitar parts.  The other little parted added in fill in the gaps like little dots in a mosaic adding seemingly insignificant pieces that help create the whole piece.  And just as soon as it begins, it ends.  That’s one of the reasons I chose this track because it should tease you just enough to try the rest of the release. 
            The self-titled album, which dropped a few months ago, is free to download on the link I posted above.  You can also follow them on the facebook and soundcloud.  


While you're liking things you should like the blogs fb and like all of my stuff and not Eric's 

No comments:

Post a Comment