Search This Blog

Monday, March 26, 2012

Track of the Moment-Bloodhounds on My Trail by The Black Angels



The Black Angels may get their name from a Velvet Underground song “The Black Angels Death Song” but they get their sound from Led Zeppelin, specifically that heavy hitting drum bass combo present at the beginning of When The Levee Breaks. That heavy beat is pretty consistent throughout their breakout album Passover, but one of my favorite tracks from that album is the one that does not use that formula and breaks away from the mold. That song is todays track Bloodhounds on My Trail. For me this song always conjures images of the Paul Newman classic Cool Hand Luke. I see Luke wading through tall grass, getting chased by dogs, and pouring spices on himself to throw off the bloodhounds. And not unlike when Luke exclaims in the film “Im shakin’ boss, Im shakin”, the guitar melody and the vocals shake in Bloodhounds on My Trail as they are both layered with heavy reverb effects. A real tension is created in the song through the pleads of the narrator and the tense lyrics, and overall the track is cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment