Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

New Album from Three Weeks Ago: A Sleep & a Forgetting by Islands



Three weeks ago was a really rough week for me. That Friday I had to make a phone interview with someone that would have a huge impact on my future. I spent the whole week in a state of pure-terror; I felt like death. Fittingly that same week a year before was probably the worst week in my life, culminating in a terrible moment that occurred exactly one year before the dreaded phone call. In short, I really hate the third week in February and wanted an album that would help me through it. Fortunately for me that week, Islands’ new album A Sleep & a Forgetting came out that week and boy was it exactly what the doctor ordered.
A huge fan of The Unicorns, Islands always sort of confused me. I fully understand that a band’s attitude, music, and sound of a band is the result of the combination of those of each member in the band; it’s ridiculous to assume that a every band that contains a musician or two in common will sound alike. Yet it always confuses me to hear Nick Thornburn sing Islands’ songs. I am so used to hearing him on Who Will Cut Our Hair When Were Gone (I listen to it at least once a week), that I feel like his unique voice belongs to the extremely low-fi sound of The Unicorns. I got the same feeling when I went and saw Mister Heavenly live in Philly last fall (an amazing super group composed of Nick Thornburn, Honus Honus of Man Man and Joe Plummer of Modest Mouse). This feeling was only exacerbated by the dramatically different tone of A Sleep & a Forgetting.
The music was really soothing to me during my rough week, dark and introspective like I felt, yet hopeful enough to cheer me up. The album sounds like quiet, resevered sadness and hope. It is not the intense pain of a recently broken heart, but the subtle mixture of happiness and sadness of looking back on something lost long ago. As Nick himself puts it, “This record deals with loss, with memory and forgetting and with dreaming. I started writing it on Valentine’s Day and it’s coming out on Valentine’s Day.” I couldn’t have described the feeling of the album better myself (also the black rose album cover is a nice touch).
A Sleep & a Forgetting is a lot more introspective and subdued than Island’s previous work. Though it has its moments where it rocks out (Can’t Feel My Face and Never Go Solo), even these tracks are fairly low key. Yet this softer nature does not mean it is bad, in fact I think it is a great change of pace; too often bands get caught up in the same sound. I feel as though when people look back on Islands’ discography, this album will be viewed as the one where they really changed up their formula for the first time. And they did a fantastic job at that; though it is definitely different, it excels in what it did differently. Yet at the same time, the album is clearly an Islands album.
One interesting thing I noticed while listening to the album was how much it reminded me of the aforementioned Mister Heavenly, specifically Out of Loves’ b-side. This makes perfect sense seeing as Out of Love was recorded just months before the Valentine’s Day that work on A Sleep & a Forgetting started. Of course, they differ greatly in the sense that Out of Love is clearly influenced by doo-wop and A Sleep & a Forgetting is clearly not. However, the attitude and the emotions are similar. I hope whatever had Nick down at that time has cleared up and that he is feeling less dark and down now. Partly because I never want another person to feel down and partly because I would love Islands’ next album to have another tone switch and really rock out.

No comments:

Post a Comment