Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Track of the Moment: Better Off Without You by Summer Camp

Where do we find music? For this band I truly can’t answer that question. After a night of surfing the internet I woke up with a sticky note on my desktop “SUMMER CAMP BAND.” I often write myself these notes to look up bands that I read about, glimpse, hear, etc, that I want to give another listen to. I don’t remember writing that note or hearing the band, but it was there. For whatever reason I let that note sit on my desktop for almost a month. Take my advice: never leave a note of unknown origins sit on your desktop for a month; it’s probably a fantastic band. This case was no exception.

Summer Camp hit the scene in early 2009 much in the way my note did, mysteriously. At first the band was just a little project between the two members: multi-instrumentalist Jeremy Warmsley and vocalist Elizabeth Sankey. Soon after the music was posted on myspace, however, people caught wind and out of nowhere the band was gaining traction it didn’t even realize it had started. Quite frankly, I’m a bit upset at the thought of these guys just sitting on this type of talent, and chemistry, and not sharing it with the world.

This band is as nostalgic as their music videos. It captures a simpler time when summers were beach trips, boardwalks, and ice cream and everyone was falling in and out of love. It would be what you might get if you froze an musician from the sixties or seventies, thawed them today, let them listen to everything good since their time, and let them create using modern technology. It’s modern nostalgia. But frankly you can find that a lot if you look through blogs and music posting sites. What you need to know is these guys are fun, and that’s where they have me sold. But don’t take my word for it….(now’s the cue to play the video if you haven’t already)

This is the opening track off their newest LP “Welcome to Condale.” Look for more from these guys, and check them out at http://www.wearesummercamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment