Search This Blog

Monday, March 12, 2012

Track of the Moment- Deadbeat Summer by Neon Indian



I first heard the song Deadbeat Summer while traveling from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh. I took three records with me, Neon Indians debut Psychic Chasms, Lucky Shiner by Gold Panda, and the fantastic self-titled Hercules and Love Affair, and yes, it was indeed summer. Whats more it was my last summer, being a full time student at a college, I knew full well that by the time I returned from Pittsburgh the days of sitting on the beach and relaxing by the pool (lol I never did either of those things) were over, and on top of that I wouldn’t be returning to class, Id be starting an internship, my first full time job. It was a fun trip, but overall a bittersweet experience, and Deadbeat Summer captured it perfectly. There is something that’s so relatable to that sound, it reminds me most of the anime FLCL’s beginning and end, in which the protagonist muses about how nothing ever exciting happens to him, despite having a life altering experience with an alien and a space pirate (seriously you need to go watch FLCL it rocks). Not unlike that guy from FLCL everything that had happening to me that summer seemed like it didn’t matter, like it was gone and wasn’t coming back, despite the good times I had had. But now nearly six months later I can still spin Psychic Chasms, and so far that’s been more than enough

No comments:

Post a Comment