Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Track of the Moment-Grapefruit Moon by Tom Waits



Anyone remember “Night Owls”? It’s a painting and I would bet my bottom dollar that you have seen it before. I often like to compare music to art; Art imitates life and life imitates art, it just so happens to be that music is life and art. When I look at "Night Owls" I always think of Tom Waits, especially his early album Closing Time, and especially Grapefruit Moon. Besides the fact that the cover of Closing Time resembles Night Owls a bit; we see a forlorn Waits under a dim light over a piano. It conveys a certain type of restlessness that Night Owls so well highlights. And the highlight from Closing Time is without a doubt Grapefruit Moon, a somber ballad that uses nighttime imagery and Wait’s (at the time) smooth with a tint of rasp voice to express isolation and sadness. It remains one of my favorites from the album and while some of Wait’s later works are better crafted his early stuff is still phenomenal.

1 comment:

  1. Favorite part of your article - "Wait’s (at the time) smooth with a tint of rasp voice"

    ReplyDelete