Search This Blog

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Track of the Moment: Mirror by Pepper

          Sublime is never coming back. I type that on a tear-soaked keyboard, but I know it’s true. Bradley Nowell is never going to be fully replaced (Sorry Rome, Panic was a good single, but…have you listened to 40oz recently?) I spent a majority of my high school years with the 3 albums as well as some of the non-album stuff on repeat. I enjoy almost every song (except the weird spoken word stuff on Robbin the Hood.) Even though I will never have a new Sublime album to look forward to, I can never thank those guys for turning me onto Ska…okay I’ll start talking about the song now.
          Pepper is a three piece from Kona, Hawaii. They are one of the few ska bands that I can really enjoy everything by them. They have a FANTASTIC flow that I can only assume you get from living that close to the ocean. The guitar parts have that great raw scratchy sound. They manage to mix all the pieces I want in a ska band: hip-hop, two-tone, punk, reggae etc, in one of the most complete ways I can think of.
           The fact that I haven’t written about these guys before baffles me, and I’m sure I’ll be rectifying that soon, but until then enjoy this musical biscuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment