Search This Blog

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Mark’s Pick of the Week: The Indifference Engine by Professor Elemental



I may not be a hipster, but there are some things that make me want to put on my fedora, and join Elliot for some fixed gear bike riding (he’s loves those fixed gear bikes.)  If you don’t know what steampunk is then the internet will be able to inform you, (I’m just here to talk about music, look it up yourself.)  If you did look up Steampunk then I must inform you if you’re picturing me with a well waxed mustache and top hat flying a steam-powered airship then you’ve got me wrong, but I think there’s at least one great act per genre no matter how obscure or specific, and Professor Elemental proves that it’s true for Steampunk Hip-hop or Chap Hop.
The reason this album really sticks out to me is the originality.  The beats he samples really carry the theme of the songs.  The listeners are transported to Elemental’s workshop where he takes us on fantastic adventures, shows us his amazing inventions, and fixes us some of his favorite pastime, tea.  All the songs manage to be funny, but with the intricacies of the beats and lyrics it’s still can certainly be taken as serious hip-hop
The good Professor first got noticed with his track “A Cup of Brown Joy,” and has been gaining steam performing at various Pop Culture and Steampunk events.  You can see where he’s performing on his website as well as get some Elemental tunes and swag.  
Check out the song that got me into this guy, as well as my favorite song on the album.

No comments:

Post a Comment