Search This Blog

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Mark’s Pick of The Week: Acoustic Sessions by The Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger


           
            I wasn’t so sure about Steve when we first met on that stormy Tuesday evening.  I was never a fan on his interpretive dancing or his tendency to call people by their Pig Latin names, but when he gave me this album I knew he was a good guy.  Anyone who can introduce you to an album this album is okay in my book regardless of how many taxidermy animals he insists to bring to your piano recital…or whatever. 
            If you haven’t heard of TGOASTT then I’ll give a run down.  It consists of Sean Lennon, Godson of Sir Elton John (and his father was famous for singing or something), and the actress/model/multi-instrumentalist Kemp Muhi.  The band has been making music since 2008, and has far as I can tell all of it is fantastic! 

            The lyrics are what really get me every time.  They range from witty to insightful to expressive.  The best way to describe It is two people singing what they see in a fantastic work of art.  It’s not enough for them to explain what is in the picture.  Instead they give descriptions of how it makes them feel, and the overall personality of the art. 
            My favorite track on this album is the opening track “Robot Boy.”  It tells the story of the aforementioned Robot Boy who is the only surviving creature of a catastrophic flood.  The way the story is told is reminiscent of a children’s story in it’s delivery and simplicity, but the depth of detail is enough to enthrall listeners of all ages.  The amount of detail put into the description of the Robot Boy himself is stunning, a phenomenal start to a really breathtaking album. 
            You can check for new music and news on their website.  They haven’t really come out with something new for a while, but I’m sure when they do it’s going to be just as good as their current material.


No comments:

Post a Comment