Search This Blog

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Mark’s Pick of Week: Fear Fun by Father John Misty


Some artists have such a distinct style that right from the first note you can tell who it is.  I feel that way about the Doors, the Tallest Man on Earth and Beach House are a few that come to mind.  All their songs are different and fresh, and yet they have an unmistakable something to them that makes each song unmistakably theirs.  It might be early to call it, but I think Father John Misty may be another example of an artist with his own unmistakable something.
            I wrote about this guy a while back, and as I was driving home in the car after listening to that track all I could think of was if that track was so good then I can’t wait for the album.  I was by no means disappointed after picking up Fear Fun. 
            Each song has a fantastic somber quality.  To me, the songs are about beaten down people in tough situations jus trying to keep on.  This music written under J. Tillman’s new name is SO much darker then what he’s written about before.  Even the music videos have a sinister streak.  Check out the video for “This is Sally Hatchet”

            The special something I spoke of earlier defiantly has something to do in the way he uses his voice.  He doesn’t so much sing in this record, but instead almost pleas.  His echoy voice seems to fill all the emptiness that his songs allows for to the point that instead of singing in a studio it sounds like he’s singing in an empty church.  Which fits well in the grand scheme of this album. 
            I couldn’t recommend this album highly enough.  This is certainly a high point in J. Tillman’s career, which is saying a lot for a guy who’s put out 7 studio albums and has drummed for the Fleet Foxes.  I’ll leave you with my favorite track on the album.


No comments:

Post a Comment