Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Track of the Moment: Henry David Thoreau by The Hundred Acre Woods


            
            I’ve been meaning to spotlight these guys for a while but, what with the harvest coming soon blogging has been on the backburner.  However, when I ran into a few of these guys over the weekend, and they told me that they were heading back to the studio to do some demos I said, “screw the crops,” and got to the blogging.
            The Hundred Acre Woods are self-proclaimed “rowdy folk,” and quite frankly I’m glad they decided to self-proclaim it because I wasn’t one hundred percent sure how to introduce them from the start. A lot of their catalogue is undoubtedly folk, and even the songs that aren’t as cut-and-dry folk certainly have some major folk elements like the acoustic and banjo pieces as well as the lyrical delivery. On the other hand, to say they’re just folk kind of sends you in the wrong direction.  The drums and some of their guitar riffs on a few songs for instance enter more into an “indie rockish” territory.  “So what?!”  I assume you’re yelling while violently shaking your computer monitor.   Well I’m getting to that.
            Henry David Thoreau is certainly a bit of a departure from their other work.  While their older work seems to veer towards the “folkier” song I mentioned earlier this single is a bit more in the vain of rock.  I really dig the lead guitar in this song that has a really trippy noise that almost makes it sound like it’s being played backwards.  The lyrics themselves are a bit silly; they are mostly about people, and things he doesn’t like about school.  However, they are delivered with such a fervor and honesty you just can’t help but respect him for it, and maybe even agree with him.  The song in general is one that feels greater then the sum of its parts.  I am by no means saying that they aren’t great musicians, but I feel like every sound you hear really brings a lot to the table, and comes together really well to load this tune up. 
As a fan of these guys I can only speculate as to what the new material is going to sound like, whether it will go in more of a folk or rock direction.  Unfortunately, my crystal ball is in the shop, and Steve won’t share his, so we’ll just have to wait until the album drops.  Until then you can check out this track as well as their other stuff.  Check up with the band on their fb and get some of their tunes on their bandcamp.  The album will be dropping…well I don’t know exactly when it will be dropping, but I’ll be sure to get back to you on that.  
You can also like our blog on the facebook to hear about new bands and tracks.  If you don't you'll make Elliot very sad...and you don't want to make him sad right?

No comments:

Post a Comment