Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Track of the Moment: mainsHum EP by mnttaB


This was the closest thing I could find to a band photo...
These guys might not have the most conventional way of spelling “Meant-to-Be,” but nothing about them seems to be very conventional.  Any attempt I may make to categorize them seems to me like it will fall desperately short, so I’ll just mention a few tidbits from their various social media pages.

“Cathartic spastic disco sludge guaranteed to block the sink and leave chunks floating on the surface.”

“Noise-enriched synth-punk mayhem”

“A Melbourne based new romantic, jazz funk, post-nothing, noise-pop smorgasbord with extra mayonnaise.”

            That probably brought up more questions then it answered, but don’t blame me.  I’m about as lost as you guys are.  I am enjoying it though!  These guys are pretty good at building a wall of sound that on the surface seems pretty abrasive, but underneath is something surprisingly catchy.  Very great low-fi effects and lyrics are sprinkled around adding to the dysfunctional nature.
            I feel obligated to throw my hat into the “genre-defining ring,” so here it goes: mnttaB is what you get when you fill a recording studio with water and then throw it into a giant blender…but with the best results possible!
            Check out their new EP “mainsHum” below, as well as their bandcamp and facebook.




Like the blog on facebook, so we can inform you about more crazy bands from Australia!


No comments:

Post a Comment