Search This Blog

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Mark’s Pick of the Week: Demon Days by the Gorillaz

I was recently given some bad news. Apparently Damon Albarn made some comments in the Guardian that he might be pulling the plug on both the Gorillaz and Blur. Rifts between Albarn and members of each project have made him question the chances of anything new from each. I figured because of this revelation I should take a look back at the album that turned me onto the impressive catalogue that Damon Albarn has created over the years: Demon Days.

This CD is AMAZING. It features some fantastic collaborations. It was mixed spectacularly (by Danger Mouse none the less.) And above all was overseen by the musical direction of Albarn, who both takes the helm in the songs as well as steps back letting others into the spotlight.

Songs like November Has Come, Dirty Harry, and All Alone feature some impressive hip-hop contributions while songs like DARE, White Light, and Kids With Guns have fantastic beats that just make you wanta move. All these tracks have something all their own that they bring to the table, while the album manages to fit together perfectly.

The crown jewel of this album is by far “Feel Good Inc.” Some people may not agree with me, but I think everything about it is amazing and is really a fantastic crescendo to the first half of the album. The song is put together magnificently, De La Soul’s rap entangles itself perfectly with the chaos of the songs, and the music itself is just plain awesome. Even the music video, something I don’t normally put to much stock in, fits the song like a glove.

Even if this is the best The Gorillaz have put out, their catalogue is still very impressive. I wish I could say they will most certainly be putting out some more, but after the comments that have been made my faith is a bit shaken. At least we still have over 10 years of Gorillaz to enjoy. It might have to last us a long time. (Sad face)

No comments:

Post a Comment