Search This Blog

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Track of the Moment: Wonder by Soap&Skin


I know, I already talked about Soap & Skin, but if Steve can post something by Twin Sister twice, I can do another post on Soap & Skin. She’s that damn good to get a 2nd post, especially given her making my top 42 list. If I had to rank them, she’d be pretty high up there, if not top 3.

Since I already talked about her music, I’ll focus a bit more on “Wonder”, and include a few fun facts. For instance, ever since her father passed away, she has ditched the heroin addict look and is now a classy redhead with fancy, but not avant-garde or flashy, clothes. Also a fun fact, the song “Voyage, Voyage” is actually a cover of a French pop song, which makes it pretty damn impressive that she was able to make a happy pop song that has already been covered into a forlorn, depressing ballad. Also a fun fact? She, for some reason, won’t tour in America, which makes me sad. It’s understandable – because people like you don’t listen to people like me who tell you to listen to people like her. And you totally should.

Anyway, “Wonder” is a great song. It’s a good mix of sad and hopeful, with the gentle arpeggios and a wonderful backup chorus that can seems to have the same emotions as Anja. And the repetition of the same 2 verses only reinforces the song’s title; Anja just keeps wondering about the same thing, over and over again. And the reversing of the chorus’s chorus would sound creepy, but it only intensifies the beauty of the song. It’s the perfect song to end a sad day on, as you drift off to sleep, or bow your head in the rain as you kneel next to the hero/sidekick who just died (this latter option is best done with a slow, retreating, tracking high angle shot. Film nerds will know what I’m talking about, won’t you).


No comments:

Post a Comment