Search This Blog

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Mark’s Pick of the Week No Shame by Pepper



Today marks the beginning of my one-week of summer.  That’s right while other readers will reading the blog on a smart phone in your airship, or catching up on an article between badminton matches (Okay I have no idea what you guys do during the summer) I’ll be working hard at the school that we may or may not have mentioned in previous posts.  Well, in order to celebrate my 168-hour break I’m going to be listening to a lot of summery music.  And with that all I need a transition sentence to get us into the post…
Pepper is a fantastic act from Kailua-Kona, Hawaii that combines all the best aspects of ska, rock, dub, reggae, hip-hop and punk into an impressive array of songs.  Everything about these guys yells summer, from the driving beats, the clean tinny guitar, and funky base, you can almost close your eyes and imagine driving up the sun scorched roads of Kona with Mauna Kea on your left, and the ocean on your right.
I was luck enough to visit the island of Kona last summer, and these guys represent the feeling you get to a T.  As I mentioned earlier in the article these guys have a bunch of different types of songs, so picking a representative track was tough.  As always since I’m making this my pick of the week I’d recommend getting the whole album, but I’m obligated by contract and gunpoint simultaneously to pick a track.  The third track on the album has a great ska, rocking feel to it, which is as good of a reason as any to put it on.  You can find where they’re playing next here, and their even coming to our backyard this summer. (Also I wrote about these guys before if you're interested)


No comments:

Post a Comment