Search This Blog

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Track of the Moment: Gangsta by tUnE-yArDs



           Okay I’m going to level with you, Internet.  I took a lot of pictures at the Roots Picnic John, Elliot and I attended.  We had a really good time, and saw quite a few good acts.  I wrote about St. Vincent last time, and now I’m going to give tUnE-yArDs a spot.  Much like Annie Clark, Merrill Garbus is no stranger to the blog.  Actually, they have both been mentioned the same amount of times for the same reasons.  Elliot wrote about her first album.  Steve wrote about her a while back, as well as making them both honorable mentions for his 2011 album of the year, and she showed up on the now infamous 210 list.  Now I’m evening them out once again.  (Not to I had the same bone to pick with Ms. Garbus as I did with Ms. Clark, but you’ll have to read the last article to hear about that.)  Although they both seem to come up together the only thing they really have in common is they are both beautiful, and talented girls making great music. 
            tUnE-yArDs blows my mind every time I hear her.  She makes all those sounds you hear in the album.  No siren, no pre recorded sounds, just her amazing voice, the instruments, and a loop peddle.  It’s was like hearing a perfectly produced album being recorded right there.  Making noises isn't necessarily impressive, but it's what she's able to do with them.  It's like one of those giant lego statues at lego land.  A pile of legos isn't very impressive or cool, but piece them into this and it's pretty amazing.  The beats are so infatuating, and it didn’t take long for the whole crowd, who didn’t seem like they previously heard this music, to be dancing like mad.  That’s what happens when you have music as down-to-the-core fun as tUnE-yArDs.  It may not be your kind of music, but once it’s on who cares?  It’s funky, kooky, and fun.  What more do you want?
            She played 5 tracks from w h o k i l l at the show, and in one of them she sampled the crowd noise.  That’s right we got to be part of a tUnE-yArDs song, and the three of us didn’t miss the opportunity singing (some might say screaming) along to some VERY FUN MUSIC.  I’m glad I FINNALLY got to see her, and hopefully I never miss a chance to again.  Now fill your ears with this noise!

1 comment:

  1. I am convinced that one day, every single song on W h o k i l l will be featured on the blog

    ReplyDelete