Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Track of the Moment: Northern Lights by Saint Vincent


            
             I’ve got a bad case of blogger’s envy.  I’d love to talk about St. Vincent, but the other guys have beaten me to it.  Steve wrote about Annie Clark back when the blog was still learning to walk, and Elliot just did a great article on her first release that you are now compelled to read since I linked to it.  However, when almost everyone on the is fighting to put you on their now infamous 210 list, you are entitled to a few posts.
            For those of you who don’t know, until recently, Ms. Clark and I have been a bit at odds (even if she weren’t aware of it.)   Last time she came to our area she scheduled it on a day I wasn’t able to attend.  When Steve, Elliot and John came back with their faces so thoroughly melted off I knew I had missed quite a show.  Until I got to see her, the bitter feud would continue (this feud didn’t prevent me from listening to, talking about, or admiring her music, but it’s the thought that counts.)  Luckily I was an attendee at the Root’s Picnic, and St. Vincent were playing a set.
            Elliot and John were all a bubble with excitement, but I stayed reserved.  This feud had gone on for so long (probably about 3 months…I guess,) so she wasn’t going to be able to win me over just like that.  When she picked up her guitar, and I heard the first terrifyingly beautiful note, I could feel my face begin to liquefy.  With that I knew this long, ugly feud was over. 
            I chose the track Northern Lights because not only is it a fantastic track from Strange Mercy that really shows off lyrical and musical power, but we were treated to a fantastic rendition of it during the concert that even included a Theremin breakdown.

The previously mentioned Theremin 

No comments:

Post a Comment