Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Track of the Moment: Who by David Byrne and St. Vincent


        
          As Elliot was so polite in pointing out to me this afternoon, this track isn’t exactly brand new.  This track was released in mid June as a promotional single to the new collaboration between David Byrne (of the Talking Heads) and St. Vincent (of St. Vincent.)  To be honest I was a little bit skeptical when I first heard about this.  I was raised on Talking Heads, and I am a hardcore St. Vincent fan, but liking both artists doesn’t always translate into a good project.  Luckily for me I really enjoyed what I’ve heard so far. 
            What I read about the new release (set to drop in September) says that these two really work well together, and managed to split the songwriting pretty evenly.  About half the tracks should be reminiscent of St. Vincent with a dash of Byrne while the other half is more “David Byrneie” with some Annie Clark mixed in.
            This track itself is pretty evenly split.  If I had to wager a guess I would say this is probably a David Byrne track, his progressive, larger then life feel is very dominant.  However, St. Vincent unmistakably has a hand in this track.  I don’t just mean backing vocals.  Her lead parts are pulled off with her signature eerie grace, and maybe it’s the guitar, but she’s got a bit more going in this track.  That’s what makes a super group so super: when all the artists involved get to contribute to each song and play off each other you create really memorable music.  Don’t believe me?  Then judge it for yourself.  Either way it works for me. 
            For someone who has been waiting with anticipation for a follow-up to Strange Mercy this is a great treat.  This is most likely not the last time you’ll hear about this album on the blog.  In the mean time you can pre order the album "Love This Giant" here AND THAT”S NOT ALL.  You can also download this track on that page.  So what are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment