Search This Blog

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Track of The Moment: Elephants by Them Crooked Vultures


         
            I remember in high school when me and one of my friends found out about these guys.  We were so damn excited.  We watched all the teaser trailers on Youtube, and streamed the self titled album hours after the band put it up.  And then…not too much.  They toured, and their album hit the charts, but I could count like 5 people I really know who listened to it.  I think that’s CRAZY.
            TCV are Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age,) Dave Grohl (Nirvana and Foo Fighters,) and John Paul Jones (Led-freakin-Zepplin.)  I thought this was awesome.  I was already a huge Nirvana and Foo Fighters fan, Homme had a plethora of awesome interesting projects (Eagles of Death Metal, The Desert Sessions,) and sprinkling the multi-instrumental talents of John Paul Jones.  My high school self truly thought Dave Grohl must have looked in his magic snow globe, and saw exactly what I wanted. 

High School Mark probably wished for this to happen at some point by late 2008
           This song blows my mind even to this day.  Right from the get-go the song just rocks with little to no regard for its own safety.  If anyone doesn’t like Dave Grohl’s music then you can at least appreciate the drumming.  The song itself always struck me as a Josh Homme’s tune with the imagery and subject matter.  The intro/outro really brings the whole track together, and makes me imagine what being in a jam session with these guys might feel like.
            My friend and I voted this track as the best song of the year of our Senior year yearbook poll.  “Tik Tok” by Ke$ha won, and I assume two votes were casted for TCV…also it was high school; so it’s pretty safe to say no one cares.  However, this album is one thing I haven’t lost since.  I would highly recommend the whole album, with it's great musician ship, variety of styles, and unbridled rocking: it has the whole package.

Facebook friend us maybe?  I promise we won't be Pinteresting pictures of food, figure nails or animals, just great articles, features and interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment