Search This Blog

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Mark’s Pick of the Week: Yuck by Yuck



  Sometimes the best way to make a great new band is to just do what your favorite bands did. When I listen to Yuck I think about how fun and rocking they are, but at the same time in the back of my head I hear something familiar. They have a sound that reminds me of Dinosaur Jr., Pavement, or perhaps Sonic Youth or something like that, and that is by no means a bad thing.

I imagine these guys really embrace the music they love, and it really translates into something great. That’s really the formula for a lot of bands that you probably love. A lot of bands started out as people playing covers, and moving onto original material. It’s all about finding a group of people who like what they play and play what they like.
          The above track showcases the variety that this album has.  The songs range from really driving punk rock with catchy hooks, to more subtle tracks like "Suicide Policeman."  The way this album is able to distinguish itself track by track while still retaining an identity as an album is something I really love about it. I don’t think I dislike one song on this album.  I could imagine hearing any one of these songs on the radio because quite frankly they are all fantastic!
If you’re a fan of the whole 90’s noise rock, lo-fi, post-punk (insert all other titles that you might associated with the aforementioned bands) then this band will be a familiar, and enjoyable experience. I know they were for me.
I decided to end this article with “Georgia” because…I don’t know why not. It’s a great track, but so is the rest of the album, and unfortunately I couldn't post the whole album. You can check out their blogspot (ya only the coolest bands have blogspots), soundcloud, myspace, and also they released a new single I would highly recommend checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment