Search This Blog

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Mark’s Pick of The Week: War Elephant by Deer Tick


          
           It’s surprised me that even though both Steve and I really like these guys AND they were featured on the infamous 210 list, Deer Tick has never been mentioned on the blog.  Being the vigilantly blogger that I am, I intend to rectify this injustice. 
            Deer Tick is a phenomenal folk blues outfit lead by guitarist/lead vocalist John McCauley. I could go into the band itself a bit more, but you have the Internet don’t you? Take a little initiative!
            The theme of the album to me is a fruitless journey.  There is a serious sadness, and longing in these songs, but at the same time you can’t shake the feeling that he might never quite reach his goal.  The result is a very broken, very tired, very real character.  Listening to this album always has a sobering effect on me.  This is none more prevalent then in their cover of "These Old Shoes" by Chris Paddock.

            McCauley’s guitar work blows me away each time I hear it.  In the world of folk you don’t always need the most intricate music to sell it, but that has not stopped this guy.  The intricacies in the picking, and guitar tuning are not only great to listen to, but also REALLY tough to play.
             I am listening to this album now, and I have to restrain myself from embedding the whole damn album on this page, because A, that's not that great to read, and B, defeats the whole point of me getting  you to go out and listen to the album.  i decided "Dirty Dishes"for the next track because it showcases McCauley's lyrical capability.  He weaves imagery with literary devices to tell the story about love, or maybe just something like it.


            I’ll leave you with one of my favorite tracks from the album. "Art Isn't Real," the second track on the album,  has some neat little musical nuances I always find myself rediscovering each time I listen to it.  You can keep up with these guys on their website, and what have you.


No comments:

Post a Comment