Search This Blog

Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Gentlemanly Conversation with: Brad Sucks


DIY projects are a dime a dozen these days. With modern software a majority, if not all the people reading this could record, mix, and produce music using only what they have at their desk or find online. With the Internet it costs about $0.00 to distribute it to the entire world. In my opinion that’s pretty wild! We’re talking anyone, anywhere now has the ability to create music, and anyone anywhere can listen and enjoy.
Of course this can be a two edged sword. With the quantity of projects out there finding quality is sometimes hard. There’s always going to be limitations on equipment, inspiration, originality, and of course talent, and experience regardless of how advanced the internet is. (Or will it?)
Here at the blog we try and find you some good DIY projects for your auditory pleasure. One such artist is Brad Turcotte of Brad sucks, the self proclaimed “one man band with no fans.” I wrote about him recently, and if you want to check it out click the interjection in this sentence…HEY. I also got to interview him, which is what I’m sure you’re all here to read, so I’ll stop introducing now…
When I told the other bloggers I was interviewing you they all asked first: Why Brad Sucks? You, by no means suck, so why the name?
I wanted to just call myself “Brad” but it was taken by members of Pearl Jam who aren’t named Brad. I went through a lot of other options with a friend and when he suggested Brad Sucks it made me laugh and we moved on but I kept coming back to it. It just felt right.
If you look at your work and website there seems to be a theme of substances (alcohol, pills etc) why the choice of theme?
The theme is really depression/OCD (because I have those things). Alcohol and pills are just a few of the ways some people deal with ‘em. I was on antidepressants for years and years and went off them only a few months ago so it’s a subject I’m close to.
What made you get into the DIY music business?
Long ago I was writing and recording but it felt pointless - I had no idea how to reach the “real” music scene. When MP3s came along it was clear to me they were a shortcut. I just needed to make these files, get them out to people and then I’d technically be a musician. Which is what I did and now I’m technically a musician.
Where was your first show and what was it like?
My first show was actually a three song set for some battle of the bands thing I got talked into in Ottawa. The crowd was a couple hundred middle-aged friends and families of the other bands. They were so quiet and all there to support other bands so they weren’t into me at all.
I remember feeling so uncomfortable while playing and scanning the room for something to emotionally hang onto. I noticed an old dude lightly tapping his foot which was probably the only music-related movement in the place and I fixated all my attention on that. I tried to pretend that as long as the foot was tapping I was rocking this shit. Not a lot different from many other shows I’ve done.
Plenty of artists release their music for free, but they don’t include the source file. Why allow people to remix your songs with the source?
Well, giving the music away for free got rid of the cost barrier but the biggest obstacle I thought was getting people to share and spread my stuff. You can give your music away for free but without some promotion, nobody’s gonna know it’s there? Remixes seemed like something I should encourage and giving away the source made it easier for folks.
It’s also something I wanted when I was a young music nerd. I wanted to see the guts of my favorite songs and learn how the pieces all fit together. I still do.
Any advice for DIY musicians like yourself?
Watch your spending. The more you spend, the more you gotta earn. It’s a trap!
Other than music, what else are you currently working on?
I’m doing a few small web programming things but mostly I’m learning to draw and play the drums (not at the same time).
Any plans on playing Philly?
No plans! I’m not letting myself think about touring until I finish this stupid record. You can add yourself to the map on this page though: http://www.bradsucks.net/live/ - it’s how I’ll figure out where to go if I go anywhere.
How soon can we expect the next album?
Man, I don’t know. I’ve pushed it back so many times now I feel like a liar even suggesting a release date. But I’m going in to mix some of it tomorrow and moving ahead with album art this week, so that’s something
For music, new, getting involved, or just say hi, check out http://www.bradsucks.net/
Also to read about me bothering more bands via email check out: A Gentlemanly Conversation With: Hungry Lucy

No comments:

Post a Comment